Families First
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Families First

We cater for all types of Families.
Our aim is to provide a safe, and friendly site for members to join and relax,
get some helpful advice and support when going through difficult times,
or just to meet new friends.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

infant formula to be prescribed

Go down 
+3
seth_an_tylers_mum
Bee
chels03
7 posters
AuthorMessage
chels03
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted
chels03

infant formula to be prescribed  Empty
PostSubject: infant formula to be prescribed    infant formula to be prescribed  EmptySeptember 23rd 2010, 5:37 am

http://www.news.com.au/national/expert-jennifer-james-calls-for-infant-formula-to-be-prescribed-to-boost-breast-feeding-rate/story-e6frfkvr-1225928091226

INFANT formula should be available only on prescription to boost breast feeding rates, an expert says.

But Victoria's peak doctors' group and Melbourne mothers say the proposal goes too far.

Jennifer James, of RMIT University, said formula manufacturers should also be banned from marketing their products to the public.

"When women are having problems, and it's very challenging learning to breast feed, the formula is readily available and the marketing suggests that babies will thrive on it, so women go for it," Dr James said.

"The majority of women and new dads that you speak to will give you some reasons why it's important to breast feed but there's still this pervasive belief that 'I'll try it and if I can't do it, formula's just as good'.

"I would like to see formula prescribed by a health professional rather than being available in supermarkets and chemists."

Melbourne mum Christine Rookas said it should be a mother's choice whether to breast feed or not.

"I would be very frightened and afraid to think that formula will be prescribed," Ms Rookas, from Avondale Heights, said.

"I think there's already a paranoia for mothers. They feel guilty enough about using formula milk."

Ms Rookas was still breast feeding six-month-old Neave, as she had her two older children, despite finding it tough.

"I just kept persisting ... because it's more convenient rather than a huge health benefit," she said.

AMA Victoria president Harry Hemley said requiring a prescription for infant formula would be very inconvenient for new mothers.

"There's no doubt that new mothers need more support to make sure their children are as fit and healthy as possible," Dr Hemley said.

"Breast feeding is the best option for most new mothers, but not for everyone."
Back to top Go down
Bee
Bee

PostSubject: Re: infant formula to be prescribed    infant formula to be prescribed  EmptySeptember 23rd 2010, 7:29 am

WTF, what about mum's that physically can not produce milk ?? I think it is up to individual parents. Maybe have it on prescription til 6 months or something, i think it's very odd.
Back to top Go down
chels03
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted
chels03

PostSubject: Re: infant formula to be prescribed    infant formula to be prescribed  EmptySeptember 23rd 2010, 8:29 am

i for one am totally against it!
Yes some ppl wont breastfeed but imo i think its their choice!
They dont choose what we put in their mouths AFTERWARDS food wise!
How bout they put a presciption on crap like maccas n other take away food too!
seriously!

its up to the mum if she CHOOSES to breastfeed or not! not up to some stupid bat that thinks its best!
Some kids dont thrive on it! Some mums dont produce it and some ppl just dont want to do it!

Take me with Sophie for instance! my milk toke forever to come in because i was in shock from my 20 minute labour! first night she needed bottles!!!! If i had of needed a presciption she wouldve starved for a week because there was nothing coming out of my boobs!!!!
not to mention the added costs WHICH NO ONE NEEDS to go to the docs to get it prescribed!
Its a load of crap imo
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: infant formula to be prescribed    infant formula to be prescribed  EmptySeptember 23rd 2010, 8:32 am

most mums i know have formula fed.

I only know a very small handful of mums that were able to breast feed.

It's so the norm to see a baby with a bottle, yet when you see a mother bf'd their baby there is a big hopla about it.

Breast feeding is a learned thing. I had problems bf'ing kayla (if I persisted, it would have worked, but not my sanity). bf'ing has been so easy though.

There does need to be more education on breast feeding. Breast feeding is always going to be better for the child. It's free, and on tap, your child will never go hungry, and no messy bottles to deal with.

Yes in circumstances where the mother can not bf then formula is the way to go. but i can see why they are stating that.
Back to top Go down
chels03
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted
chels03

PostSubject: Re: infant formula to be prescribed    infant formula to be prescribed  EmptySeptember 23rd 2010, 8:58 am

i had no troubles with portia! at 4 weeks my milk started to dry up and no matter what i did wouldnt come back! I even toke tablets and tried different things nothing worked n by 6 weeks she was needing 120ml bottles after a 2 hour breastfeed! so she got put on bottles! Alek i had same troubles as with sophie! My milk never came in!
I persisted with trying for a week and i was always giving him bottles! by the end of the week my nipples were bleeding because there was nothing coming out of them! my lactose consulant told me to stop trying because it just wasnt going to happen!
Bella i fed for 2 weeks PERFECTLY i was so bloody proud of what i was doing! And then i got severe gastro n almost ended up in hossie cause i was so dehydrated ! my doc told me to stop! Or i would end up in hossie! I hated that i had to stop!
Sophie once again shock! once my milk came in i tried n tried to build it up! (didnt come in for a good week) but nothing helped! So she was on bottles!
My mum had the same issues! Her milk dried up and no matter how much she tried it wouldnt come back!
Back to top Go down
seth_an_tylers_mum
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted
seth_an_tylers_mum

PostSubject: Re: infant formula to be prescribed    infant formula to be prescribed  EmptySeptember 23rd 2010, 9:17 am

this kind of article really annoys me what right do these people have to try and tell us mums what and how to feed our babies yes in an ideal world every women would breastfeed with no problems and bub and mum would be happy . BUT this is not that ideal world some mums dont want to b/f some mums want to but cant. We have enough pressure put on us without having this kind of crap leveled at mums. What would u do if that script ran out and u couldnt get a repeat straight away and you'd ran out of formula or you were on holidays and couldnt get into see a different doctor.

and seriously what doctor would be happy with mums turning up week after week just wanting another script for baby formula
Back to top Go down
mummy23girls
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

PostSubject: Re: infant formula to be prescribed    infant formula to be prescribed  EmptySeptember 23rd 2010, 12:13 pm

i agree 100% with everything everyone else has said. This kind of article just annoyes me so frigging much!!! Honestly. Skye my milk dried up at 3 months. Caitlin Weened herself after 4 months, and those 4 months were hell with her crying 22/24 hrs none stop. Brianna i couldnt mentally feed her. I couldnt do it after feeding caitlin all the time.
Back to top Go down
~*sharon~*
Administrator
Administrator
~*sharon~*

PostSubject: Re: infant formula to be prescribed    infant formula to be prescribed  EmptySeptember 23rd 2010, 12:21 pm

Heard about this what a joke! She is a idiot!
Back to top Go down
MissMon
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: infant formula to be prescribed    infant formula to be prescribed  EmptySeptember 23rd 2010, 2:00 pm

Completely agree with what you have all said so far.
I seen this on a friends Facebook Status earlier today & it still has my blood boiling.
This woman needs a fair smack in the forehead!

What about the Mums who try desperately to bf, but they can't.
What about the Mums who are happily bf'ing & then their bodies decide it's enough.
I have being in both above mentioned situations & this kind of thing that this "woman" has said, just entirely irks me right bloody off!!!!

In hindsight, I personally think as long as the baby is being fed the nutrients it needs, then that's all that matters!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Be it breastfeeding or formula feeding! Mad
Do they expect infants to starve just because Mum can't bf?

Mad Mad Mad

Does this woman even have any children?!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: infant formula to be prescribed    infant formula to be prescribed  EmptySeptember 24th 2010, 12:31 am

i actually agree with her.

humans have been around for hundreds and thousands of years. Women have been breastfeeding all that time. And how long has formula been around for? What 100 years?

Giving a baby a bottle is so normal now, no one thinks twice about it, esp in public. But as soon as a mum breast feeds her baby, well you hear about it,you get stares (cause I know I have). A lot of people think breast feeding is wrong. And imo i think more mums (of all ages and all races) don't even give breast feeding a go, they put bubs straight onto the bottle.

Breast feeding is a learned thing.

And if forumla didn't exist well we'd all be breast feeding.

So I see her point.
Back to top Go down
chels03
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted
chels03

PostSubject: Re: infant formula to be prescribed    infant formula to be prescribed  EmptySeptember 24th 2010, 2:10 am

i see her point too but in the old days ppl had the same troubles as they do now! there were stories (which ive heard personally from nan and my mum heard personally from her grandmother) of ppl having to breastfeed other ppls children because they couldnt do it!
ppl also died from childbirth more often back then!!!!! those babies didnt starve? there has always been something around for children to get fed from! Whether it be breast, normal milk or formula!

I do think some ppl give up way to easy but some ppl cant even produce milk! ppl with breast reductions are one! i know one personally! she had severe back troubles n her doc told her she HAD to have a reduction which in turn left her milk ducts cut and now she will never have the option to breastfeed!

I agree some ppl give up to easy...some ppl dont want to breastfeed but i also am a firm believer that its the mothers choice! If formula was so bad they never wouldve let them put it on the shelves in the first place!

Honestly look at all the adults walking the planet and tell me which one was breast or bottle fed....no one can tell! simply because they all turned out fine!
My cousins had more medical issues then us! they were all breast fed til they were 4 1/2!!!!!! We were on bottles! nothing wrong with us! we turned out better then them!!!!!
yes its only one case but its the truth!

If a mother wants to bottle or breast feed thats her choice!
as for the looks some ppl just dont like breast! then again i bottle feed my kids and get the same stares! i WONT sit in a mothers room anymore because i get nasty comments and stares about sophie! oh shes only so big because shes bottle fed and i dont control what i put in her mouth!!!!!! another young mum bottle feeding their children! load of crap!

As for her i had NO CHOICE but to bottle feed! my body went into shock cause of my labour and NOTHING came out whatsoever for a good few days to a week! she wouldve lost a tonne of weight if i didnt give her something! n if formula had to be prescribed most likely wouldve ended up on cows milk simply because there was no way i could go get a prescription within such a short time frame!

i agree though with both sides...i think ppl do not give it a good enough go BUT i also believe its the mothers choice to do what she pleases!

n isnt this lady doing what she and many accuse others of? Outcasting formula as she thinks we outcast breastmilk!
If it wasnt for my health with bella she wouldve got boob alot longer and if it wasnt for the shock of alek n sophies labour they wouldve both got breast milk! but it simply didnt happen!

Easy to say for ppl that havent had issues like that though either! like to see her go through a 20 minute labour and see how well she comes out of it!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: infant formula to be prescribed    infant formula to be prescribed  EmptySeptember 24th 2010, 5:08 am

yes women did die from childbirth, you can thank eve for sinning for that (it's stated that god punished eve by making child birth very painful).

As a mum who has breast fed and bottle fed i can see both sides.

i could state more, but no point getting into an arguement and it getting blown out of proportion, so I will leave it at that.

Back to top Go down
chels03
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted
chels03

PostSubject: Re: infant formula to be prescribed    infant formula to be prescribed  EmptySeptember 24th 2010, 5:29 am

im not trying to blow it out of proportion just saying...thats my opinion! this article really pissed me the heck off! i just think its wrong!
I have also breast n bottle fed! Not for as long as some ppl but i tried as hard as i could so i can see both sides too! but i think prescription is just stupid!
Back to top Go down
seth_an_tylers_mum
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted
seth_an_tylers_mum

PostSubject: Re: infant formula to be prescribed    infant formula to be prescribed  EmptySeptember 24th 2010, 9:43 am

i've both breast and bottle fed my boys. Seth was breast til he was 10months when he got teeth and decided to start biting so he went onto the bottle Tyler was breastfed til maybe 2-4months and my milk dried up i couldnt produce enough for him so he went to the bottle it was the best choice for him as he was literally starving , yes i still felt like crap because i'd given up too easily but as a single mum with no help an trying to do my best. it should be a mothers choice what she does with her body not anyone elses. i think making the formula script only will only prove more harmfull to some mums who are already having a hard time with their babies and have pnd. yes by all means give mums more infomation about the formulas but dont make it harder and potentially more expensive
Back to top Go down
MissMon
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: infant formula to be prescribed    infant formula to be prescribed  EmptySeptember 24th 2010, 1:53 pm

seth_an_tylers_mum wrote:
i've both breast and bottle fed my boys. Seth was breast til he was 10months when he got teeth and decided to start biting so he went onto the bottle Tyler was breastfed til maybe 2-4months and my milk dried up i couldnt produce enough for him so he went to the bottle it was the best choice for him as he was literally starving , yes i still felt like crap because i'd given up too easily but as a single mum with no help an trying to do my best. it should be a mothers choice what she does with her body not anyone elses. i think making the formula script only will only prove more harmfull to some mums who are already having a hard time with their babies and have pnd. yes by all means give mums more infomation about the formulas but dont make it harder and potentially more expensive

Right there with ya Shelley!
Back to top Go down
mummy23girls
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

PostSubject: Re: infant formula to be prescribed    infant formula to be prescribed  EmptySeptember 24th 2010, 2:26 pm

i agree with shelley too.

Skye i breast fed till 3 months, tried supplement feeding but found as time went by i was giving her more bottle then breast so better to bottle feed as my milk was drying up. I fed her in public, night feeds the works. And yes i loved every second of it BUT she was starving so bottle ended up being best for her.

Caitlin LIVED on the boob till she was 4 months old. I had to sit with her, could never lay down and feed or even slouch, and she was on the boob all day or she was crying. She fell asleep on the boob and wouldnt settle her self and then i couldnt lay her down either. Her sleeps were less then 20 mins long too. No one else could cuddle her, if she heard me, saw me what ever she SCREAMED the house down. Then one day at 4 months old she woke up, i put her to the boob and nothing. She screamed and screamed and screamed. Just would not feed from me. We tried for a full day to get her to take the boob and she wouldnt. My friend at the time brought her a bottle and formula around and she drank it. The first time in 4 months that she would even touch a bottle. And yes we did try a few times with breast milk in a bottle to give me a break. She wasnt starving either, she was a little porker on breast. The next few feeds i offered the breast before bottle and she didnt take it ever again. So caitlin weened her self. I had no choice, she chose. So honestly sometimes the baby even makes the choice and then what is the mum to do??????

Brianna i tried for 5 days to feed her. I called lactation consoltants, and i called the breast feeding support groups WHILE pregnant with her to get advice. I spoke to my mid wife everything i thought of to get support BEFORE having her. Because after having a baby LIVE on the breast i didnt want to go through it again. I didnt want to feed her BUT i tried. I put her to the breast for no more the 5 mins each feed before i felt physically ill and puller her off. I couldnt do it more then 5 days, i HATED it. So for my sake and to be a better mum to her i stopped. Best choice i could make. BUT with her i never layed her down to self feed, never let anyone but lach and myself feed her. I was very controlling of it.

So it should be parents choice but yes some parents are too quick to go bottle. And honestly i think dads should be involved in the process. If mums want to breast feed then dads should be more supportive to make it happen. Lach was very involved in it and he supported me 100%
Back to top Go down
MissMon
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: infant formula to be prescribed    infant formula to be prescribed  EmptySeptember 24th 2010, 2:30 pm

mummy23girls wrote:
So honestly sometimes the baby even makes the choice and then what is the mum to do??????

So very very very true!!!!
These people might think they can force women to bf when they don't want, but how do you force a baby to bf, if they clearly don't want to?!
Back to top Go down
mummy23girls
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

PostSubject: Re: infant formula to be prescribed    infant formula to be prescribed  EmptySeptember 24th 2010, 2:33 pm

the day she did it i was completely at a loss. She screamed everytime i put her to the boob. If i had to get a script that day, i wouldnt of been able to and she would of starved. She wouldnt even take breast milk from a bottle. What are mums meant to do???
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: infant formula to be prescribed    infant formula to be prescribed  EmptyFebruary 5th 2011, 3:33 pm

i dont agree with it being prescribed. i breastfed for 3 months with craig and it killed me cos im very sensitive when it comes to nipples. i have always said that when i have another one i will prob brestfeed for the first week when its the yellow but after that straight on formula cos it hurts too much plus i wasnt gettin enough milk last time cos once craig was on bottles he put on so much weight!!!
Back to top Go down
Tallis&LanesMummy
Dedicated Member
Tallis&LanesMummy

PostSubject: Re: infant formula to be prescribed    infant formula to be prescribed  EmptyFebruary 6th 2011, 3:14 am

who the hell does she think she is??? its a mothers choice how they feed their child! i HAD to put Tallis on a bottle cuz i lost my milk and had stages where i had to supplement Lane with bottles when he had growth spurts but i fed him til he was 2yrs old!

No bloody doctor has the right to say yes or no to prescribing a necessity for fking life!
Back to top Go down
http://ktlkbodyjewelry.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: infant formula to be prescribed    infant formula to be prescribed  Empty

Back to top Go down

infant formula to be prescribed
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Families First :: GENERAL DISCUSSION :: The News Desk-
Jump to: