Families First
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Families First

We cater for all types of Families.
Our aim is to provide a safe, and friendly site for members to join and relax,
get some helpful advice and support when going through difficult times,
or just to meet new friends.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Diggers to exit East Timor by early 2013

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
mummy23girls
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

Diggers to exit East Timor by early 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Diggers to exit East Timor by early 2013   Diggers to exit East Timor by early 2013 EmptyJune 23rd 2010, 10:46 am

All Australian troops are expected to be withdrawn from East Timor within three years.

President Jose Ramos Horta says the situation in East Timor is "absolutely peaceful" and the Australian defence contingent there should be back home by early 2013.

Australia has 400 personnel stationed in the fledgling nation as part of the International Stabilisation Force which is helping the United Nations maintain stability.

Dr Ramos Horta said troop levels should stay the same until after East Timor's elections, due in April and June 2012.

"I believe that this number should stay more or less stable `til final withdrawal, which we might estimate to be early 2013," he told the National Press Club in Canberra on Wednesday.

Earlier, Prime Minister Kevin Rudd said he would be willing to keep the troops in Timor until then.

The mandate for the international force was due for consideration in February 2012, he said.

"Should the government of Timor-Leste require further assistance for the period of that year, we'd respond to such a request positively," Mr Rudd told reporters after a meeting with the president.

Dr Ramos Horta praised Australian troops as "superb" for their professionalism and work with the people of East Timor.

He said most now were doing community and civil work.

Dr Ramos Horta offered his condolences to the families of Australian soldiers who had died recently in Afghanistan.

"Some of them served in Timor-Leste in the past," he told reporters.

"You would not find better people than that, so I feel, also, personally, the loss of the Australian soldiers in Afghanistan."

Five Australian soldiers have died in Afghanistan in recent weeks.

Back to top Go down
seth_an_tylers_mum
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted
seth_an_tylers_mum

PostSubject: Re: Diggers to exit East Timor by early 2013   Diggers to exit East Timor by early 2013 EmptyJune 23rd 2010, 10:54 am

thats great but i wanna know when they getting pulled outta Afghanistan
Back to top Go down
mummy23girls
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

PostSubject: Re: Diggers to exit East Timor by early 2013   Diggers to exit East Timor by early 2013 EmptyJune 23rd 2010, 11:03 am

i am wondering the same thing
Back to top Go down
seth_an_tylers_mum
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted
seth_an_tylers_mum

PostSubject: Re: Diggers to exit East Timor by early 2013   Diggers to exit East Timor by early 2013 EmptyJune 23rd 2010, 11:23 am

i haven't heard any news about timor in ages, so it mustnt be as bad as it once was.
Back to top Go down
mummy23girls
Inactive Member
Inactive Member

PostSubject: Re: Diggers to exit East Timor by early 2013   Diggers to exit East Timor by early 2013 EmptyJune 23rd 2010, 11:49 am

no i dont think it is i think a lot of the violance has dulled down
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Diggers to exit East Timor by early 2013   Diggers to exit East Timor by early 2013 Empty

Back to top Go down

Diggers to exit East Timor by early 2013
Page 1 of 1