Families First
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Families First

We cater for all types of Families.
Our aim is to provide a safe, and friendly site for members to join and relax,
get some helpful advice and support when going through difficult times,
or just to meet new friends.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Parents fight over child's right to live

Go down 
+2
chels03
chocochip
6 posters
AuthorMessage
chocochip

Parents fight over child's right to live Empty
PostSubject: Parents fight over child's right to live   Parents fight over child's right to live EmptyNovember 3rd 2009, 11:16 am

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,26298059-401,00.html

A MOTHER and father are locked in a court battle to decide whether their profoundly disabled baby should be allowed to die.

The couple, who have separated amicably, have taken their case to the Family Division of London's High Court.

The court was told Baby RB suffered breathing difficulties within minutes of birth last year as the result of rare congenital myasthenic syndrome (CMS ).

His condition affects the communication of nerves and muscles leaving him deprived of almost all muscle movement. Since birth he has only spent a maximum of 40 minutes breathing without a ventilator, The Daily Mail reports.

The little boy's brain continues to function normally. He is aware of his surroundings, he can see, hear and feel - but his muscles are so incapacitated that he can't even smile. His condition was compared to being "locked in".

The hospital and the mother want one-year-old Baby RB taken off life support, saying his brain function simply worsens his plight.

But the boy's father believes his son might be taken off his ventilator and returned home if surgeons carried out a tracheotomy, which creates an opening in the neck to deliver air to the lungs. He plans to show video footage of Baby RB to the court to support his case that his child should live.

The Sun reported a fresh medical assessment of the boy will be carried out this weekend to determine whether he would be suitable for a tracheotomy.

If the hospital is successful it would the first time that a British court has decided that life support can be withdrawn from a child who is not suffering brain damage.

The hospital's lawyer Michael Mylonas said Baby RB should be allowed "a peaceful, calm and dignified death".

"RB is different from a number of other children who have found themselves before this court in similar circumstances because CMS is not thought to effect his brain function at all," he said.

''The effect is that he has normal cognition and normal brain function.

"Witnesses for the trust will say that the fact is that cognition will simply make his own plight all the more unbearable for him.... As he gets older he will see glimpses of what others are able to do."

He said the essential regular process of "suctioning" the child's lungs, involving disconnection from the ventilator, caused pain, choking and was "akin to ones lungs simply being paralysed".

Solicitors acting for the mother said she had spent every day at her son's bedside since he was born.

"Every day she has seen the pain he experiences just to survive," Anthony Fairweather said outside court.

Mr Fairweather said she had listened to and consulted "some of the best doctors in the world".

"In her mind, the intolerable suffering experienced by her son must outweigh her own personal grief should she lose her child," he said.
Back to top Go down
http://bbq&beer@myplace.now
chels03
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted
chels03

PostSubject: Re: Parents fight over child's right to live   Parents fight over child's right to live EmptyNovember 3rd 2009, 11:55 am

sorry but im on the mothers side here....i wouldnt wanna grow up a vege n thats pretty much how he is going to grow up!!!! he cant move breathe do anything for himself how do u call that a life? n the fact he still knows what he is going through eg he knows he cant do anything he knows he cant walk talk smile etc n will understand it more as he gets older is only gonna make it worse on him!!!!!!
i would want him taken off life support i couldnt live that way n wouldnt expect anyone else to either!
yes it would be one of the hardest if not THE hardest decisions but honestly its probably in the best interests of that child!!!
Back to top Go down
chocochip

PostSubject: Re: Parents fight over child's right to live   Parents fight over child's right to live EmptyNovember 3rd 2009, 12:03 pm

I am also on the Mother's side. She is making the best decision for him I think!
Back to top Go down
http://bbq&beer@myplace.now
~*sharon~*
Administrator
Administrator
~*sharon~*

PostSubject: Re: Parents fight over child's right to live   Parents fight over child's right to live EmptyNovember 6th 2009, 1:01 pm

Agree with the mother to..
Back to top Go down
seth_an_tylers_mum
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted
seth_an_tylers_mum

PostSubject: Re: Parents fight over child's right to live   Parents fight over child's right to live EmptyNovember 6th 2009, 1:08 pm

i agree with the mother, i think she's made the right decision and it must have been sooo very hard
Back to top Go down
JustGem
Fabulous Member
Fabulous Member
JustGem

PostSubject: Re: Parents fight over child's right to live   Parents fight over child's right to live EmptyNovember 6th 2009, 11:11 pm

i agree with the mother too. the child is never really going to be able to experience life, its not fair to make him suffer thru it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Parents fight over child's right to live   Parents fight over child's right to live EmptyNovember 6th 2009, 11:52 pm

im leaning towards the mothers decision as i wouldn wont to feel "locked in" think i would go insane,but it would be a very hard decision to make
Back to top Go down
~*Kat*~
Totally Addicted
Totally Addicted
~*Kat*~

PostSubject: Re: Parents fight over child's right to live   Parents fight over child's right to live EmptyNovember 7th 2009, 12:46 am

I agree its no life for that poor child to live
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Parents fight over child's right to live   Parents fight over child's right to live Empty

Back to top Go down

Parents fight over child's right to live
Page 1 of 1